Sunday, February 6, 2011

Procrastinating

Yes, I'm avoiding studying physics.  Blogging is so much more fun!!!  As a few of you know, I'm taking the second semester of undergrad physics as the final pre-req for vet school.  I probably should have pointed out that my admission to vet school is dependent on satisfactory completion of this class.  I think I can manage the C+ minimum requirement...I rocked the first semester....in 2003.  So I might be a bit rusty, but I have the advantage of 1) I actually think physics is pretty cool and generally get the concepts without too much difficulty 2) I can run crying to my Dad when I get confused about anything.....he's such a nerd :-)  Seriously, this class' focus is on electricity, circuits and magnetism which my Dad happens to LOVE.  I remember him trying to explain circuits and motors to me when I was about 11yrs old.  Needless to say that didn't stick.  Now his explanations of photosynthesis and creature anatomy did stick - a statement of how my brain is oriented rather than his teaching skills.  Dad, if you're reading this, I get nostalgic every time I'm in the physics building b/c they've got a big machine shop that makes the entire place smell like metal and coolant!!  

My biggest problem with physics is the math.  Yes, it's a problem.  Physics class isn't about the concepts so much as it's about being able to mathematically represent those concepts.  F=MA sound familiar?  Force = Mass x Acceleration.  Woo algebra and trigonometry!!!  I'm lucky that the department offers a non-calculus based physics seeing as my calculus background is weak (at best).  Those dusty parts of my brain are slowly re-activating....I really used to know how to do this stuff!!  However it's a clear statement of how little I use those skills (other than basic algebra) even in a graduate biomedical science degree/environment!

Well, I should get my rear in gear.  Unfortunately I'm not feeling any better than yesterday, and maybe even a little worse.   I'm thinking a hot bath might help with congestion and coughing.  Hubby is still a mess too.  The dogs just don't get it and I suspect are plotting their pack take-over once the current leaders are weakened enough.  Now if they just didn't need us to open the dogfood canister.....  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? Zack is listening.....