Sunday, January 30, 2011

THE Interview.....

First off, I should probably clear up for anyone new (or confused) what exactly is going on career-wise for me:
I've applied to DVM/PhD combined degree programs.  (That's Doctor of Veterinary Medicine).  It's typically 7-8yrs to complete both degrees, and each Vet school integrates the two programs slightly differently.  The point of the combo program is to produce individuals with a combination of clinical skills as well as an understanding of basic science research.  Typical careers paths include becoming a professor at a university, directing animal research facilities, positions in government, etc.

I personally want to be a professor - treating patients, teaching, directing research, writing grants, and ideally doing clinical research, i.e. the bench-to-bedside type of work.  That's my first choice, but I'm not closed to other possibilities, it's more that I've been working in academia around professors long enough that I'm sure it's something that I can do and want to do.

Combining the degrees not only makes "educational" sense (by which I'm referring to the integration of two knowledge spheres), it also makes time-sense b/c some of the courses will overlap and can count towards both degrees (although that's only a few), plus research can be done during DVM summer vacations.  Most, if not all, DVM programs run on a typical university schedule with summer breaks and winter breaks.  PhDs work a bit differently because research is done independently of courses, so you're expected to be working on your research when you're not in class.  That's where the two combined can save a bit of time.....avg PhD degrees around UVa take 5-6 years to complete.  A DVM program is 4years no matter where you go or what you do.  The idea is that with the combined program, you can complete both in 7-8yrs, as I mentioned before.  Of course the timeline is entirely dependent on the PhD....some projects take longer than others, some people luck out and have projects that generate useful data immediately.  Other folks, not so much.  If you wonder what I mean, go to youtube and check out "Bad Project":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl4L4M8m4d0

So that's the back story for how I ended up in Blacksburg, Va on a snowy January morning.  Virginia Tech has the only veterinary college in the state, and I was invited for interviews!!!  I interviewed for the combined degree with a small group of faculty and also went through the standard DVM interview that all the DVM applicants had to do.  More on that in a moment.  I was super nervous as I haven't had to do any really formal interviewing since....well....ever.  Lab technician interviews tend to be fairly casual (as in they're just making sure you don't have horns or that you weren't obviously lying on your resume/CV).  This was a whole 'nother ball of wax!  It doesn't help that I've been pursing this path for about  8 years.....yeah, I've basically been working towards this interview for EIGHT YEARS.  It was physically impossible for me not be slightly freaking out about it.  The saving grace was that I was so freakin' happy about just having an interview, I think that helped balance the nerves a bit.  I was a big ball of excited-happy-nervous, which I think is better than just straight nervous.

Not surprisingly, my small group interview flew by, and I don't have a clear memory of what-all I said :-)  My hands were still shaking afterwards.  I then got to stew in my own cortisol-laced juices for 1.5 hrs until the DVM multiple-mini interviews (MMI).  If you're really interested in what that interview format is, google it - it'll take way too long for me to type out.  My summary is that it's like speed-dating crossed with a pop quiz.  I interviewed with 8 different folks, and got ZERO feedback so I have no clue if I flubbed it or not.  However, I'm pretty sure I didn't offend anyone nor did I draw a complete blank at any point.  There was only one bad one in which I confused the interviewer and he asked me to clarify twice/three times.....not good when you know you're being evaluated on soft skills like communication!!!  It was the last person I talked to, and by that point my brain was completely fried....I'd had little sleep b/c of nerves, very little food, very little caffeine and it was ~3:30pm (I'd started the first interview at 10:30am).  I'm a bit frustrated that I didn't force myself to eat to make sure I'd have the mental stamina.....such an obvious thing.

Other than the food/tired issue, I did prepare like crazy for it all.  I researched the MMI format carefully since it's relatively new.  The original paper describing it (and comparing it's efficacy against traditional interviews) was very helpful and publicly available I think...I get access to research journals through work so I could be wrong about that.  Regardless, the appendix of the paper had practice interview questions, and since I knew the whole thing operated on a timed system, I practiced with the wonderful hubby to make sure I wouldn't run over or under too much.  I also went through about 20 of the most common interview questions and actually typed out my answers (again after discussion with hubby about my thoughts :-)  I think that was helpful for me b/c I can run on sometimes in stories, loosing site of the point.  That's probably the biggest advice I have for anyone interviewing at all - regardless of what you are being evaluated on, make sure you have a very clear, one sentence answer you can start with AND end with.  The responsibility for communicating your answers, your personality and your skills completely lies on YOU, and no matter how good the story is or your list of skills or whatever, if you can't make sure that the over-all point gets across and can be remembered, you're screwed.  When all you are relying on for communicating is speech, repetition and simplicity are key.  Anyone tried remembering something from a class/talk with no visual aids and no writing, particularly if the speaker rambles a bit?  It's impossible!!  But that's the position the interviewers are in, so just keep that in mind.

I'll admit that I didn't always follow my own advice, but since I know I'm prone to rambling, if I followed it 80% of the time, I think I did pretty well (especially adding in nerves!!).  People might be wondering why I don't post more about interview questions, etc, but it's because we are required to sign a non-disclosure agreement.  A big part of the MMI format is thinking on your feet which, if you know the questions in advance, doesn't work so well.  The beauty of the system is that it eliminates interviewer-driven bias and apparently accurately measures soft-skills to the point it can predict success in the program as well as in the career.  Knowing that made me feel a little better about a process that was otherwise slightly tortuous.  And I can get feedback on the interviews after all offers have been settled.

I'm approaching the impending acceptance/rejection philosophically.  If I don't get an offer, there will probably be many reasons why I wasn't considered a suitable candidate.  I don't want to put myself into a program where I can't succeed.  I'll get feedback on precisely why I didn't get an offer, but if it's something like "Her interview went poorly, her communication skills suck and her critical thinking was weak"  then maybe being a professor with teaching responsibilities isn't the best choice ;-)  I'll take the info and learn from it - learn about myself, what I need to work on, and what the right path is.

If I get an offer....well, then I'll just freak out.  Freak.  Out.  Oh, and there will be beer consumed.  Did I mention I've worked for eight years towards this??

I'll find out *gulp* Tuesday.  Offers for the DVM go out Tuesday, and after that, about 10days later I'll hear about the combined degree program.  I HAVE to receive a DVM offer in order to continue to be considered for the combo degree, and I can still do just the DVM even if I don't make the cut for the combo degree (it's more competitive, and they only take 2 DVM/PhD students per year).  I could type another three pages about alternatives if I don't get an offer, but I won't since people have probably already stopped reading :-)  Oh, and it's way past my bedtime now.  Oops!

Everybody keep their fingers crossed!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? Zack is listening.....